With 4 children in a military family that moves every 3 years, we change schools constantly and encounter all different kinds of people from all walks of life and cultures. It is likely in our journey as a military family to encounter teachers that rub us the wrong way or with whom we disagree with teaching styles and personalities. Though I have encountered such teachers, Maggie’s 1st grade teacher this year is the exact opposite. I absolutely adore her. She is conscientious, compassionate, patient and experienced.
As a military family, we have lived in various regions of the U.S. and Italy. I have embraced this aspect of our life to make sure our children acknowledge that there are many different cultures, religions and ways to live. I think it is important that children today be raised as citizens of the world, not just their respective countries.
With that in mind, I was thrilled when Maggie’s teacher, after I did my Native American program with her class, invited parents from other cultural backgrounds to come and share with the class. A Filipino mom came in last month and today, Maggie’s friend’s mom came in to share about India and their culture. I went to watch and learned so much. I love learning about other cultures and discovering similarities to my own. It is a principal belief in Native cultures that all things are connected. I expand this belief to cultural origins as well.
After thoroughly enjoying this mom’s presentation, I was shocked to learn that another parent had made a complaint or rather expressed concern about the presentation content. The mother contacted Maggie’s teacher saying she was not comfortable with her daughter learning about “unchristian ways” and was extremely concerned about what the other mom would be talking about. She continued that she would be pulling her daughter out of class during the presentation and the word “heathen” was even used within the conversation! My jaw dropped… Now, as an American Indian woman, I’ve had this word thrown at me throughout my life in different context, sometimes as a joke, sometimes not.
This woman’s daughter’s desk is directly next to Maggie’s and the other child and she interacts with her on a daily basis. Why the concern all of a sudden? Did she think "the other mom" was going to come in and try to convert her FIRST GRADER to Hinduism? As a parent, you should be strong enough to let your child learn about things and then come to you to ask questions. If you raise your child as a Christian and they come to you saying that their friend is a Hindu, would you tell them not to be friends with that person? Or would you say “That’s great. They’re Hindi and we’re Christians. We have different beliefs but I’m glad you’re friends.” It may be naïve of me, but I have such trouble wrapping my head around this way of teaching your child about the world. Love, understanding and compassion start in the home…. So does ignorance.
Maggie's friend's mom (I'm choosing not to use names) spoke today of Mahatma Ghandi when talking about famous people from India. She said he led the movement towards freedom and equality; that he believed that anything could be done through love, peace and non-violence. Martin Luther King Jr. and JFK were adherents of the same belief. Wouldn’t it be nice if more people shared the same faith in humanity?
Pablo Casals was a Spanish cellist who wrote the U.N anthem for world peace. He is quoted as saying “The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” America is known as “The Melting Pot.” Our country is made up of people of all religions and cultural backgrounds. If we want to leave our children with a better world, as so many people claim, we have to teach our children to love themselves, yet celebrate diversity. There’s so much hatred and ignorance in the world. Why do we have to contaminate a first grade classroom?
So Hand Over the Coffee…. But leave the ignorance at the door.
No comments:
Post a Comment